I received a jar of Tropical Traditions Virgin Coconut Oil. I was thrilled, because I was almost out of my jar of coconut oil that I used for when I made anything that called for any oil, since coconut oil is supposed to be the healthy choice.
It can be substituted for cooking oil and butter when baking, but since I had been down and out with a sinus infection for almost 3 weeks, I wanted to make sure I did it justice when I did try it out in real life.
When my taste buds returned to normal, I thought about a recipe I hadn't made in a while, and decided it would be the perfect choice to use in this recipe. What recipe would that be? I'm so glad you asked.
boneless skinless chicken breast halves
medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
medium onion, sliced
1 (14 ounce)
can coconut milk
teaspoon black pepper
curry powder (or to taste)
1 (10 ounce) package
frozen peas, thawed
toasted flaked coconut (optional)
Heat oil in a medium frying pan, add chicken breasts and brown on both sides.
Place potatoes and onion in crock pot and place chicken breasts on top.
Combine coconut milk, salt, pepper, curry powder and chicken broth in a bowl and stir thoroughly. Add to crock pot. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
One half hour before serving, add peas on top of chicken mixture.
Just before serving, stir mixture thoroughly and sprinkle with toasted coconut if using. Serve over rice or Asian noodles, if desired. Even Princess Nagger loved this chicken!
With the holidays looming around the corner, I'm going to be using this as a substitute for vegetable oil. I have a feeling everything is going to turn out as scrumptious as the coconut chicken did! Tropical Traditions also has some great recipes to give you more ideas on how to successfully use their products here.
Buy It: You can purchase the virgin coconut oil or any of the other coconut oil products right at the Tropical Traditions website!
Bonus - All first time customers can get a free Virgin Coconut Oil book (85+ recipes) with purchase! When submitting your order, look for the referred by a friend section, use the special code 5574610, and the book will be added to your order!
Win It: Tropical Traditions is offering one of my readers the chance to win one quart of the Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil ($37.50 value).
Required Entry: Visit Tropical Traditions and sign up for their newsletter and then come back letting me know you subscribed. This is REQUIRED by sponsor request.
Extra entry options: (these are optional - increase your chance to win!)
- Follow me publicly on google friend connect - 1 entry
- Subscribe by email - 1 entry
- Add me to your Technorati favorites - 1 entry (leave username)
- Become my facebook fan - 1 entry (leave username)
- Follow me on twitter and tweet the giveaway - 1 entry (may be done once daily - leave direct url to tweet)
- Follow Tropical Traditions on twitter - 1 entry (leave username)
- Become a Tropical Traditions facebook fan - 1 entry (leave username)
- Add my blog url to your blog roll - 2 entries (leave link and 2 comments for each)
- Add my button to your blog - 2 entries (leave link and 2 comments for each)
- Blog about the giveaway - 3 entries (leave link to blog post)
Thank you to Tropical Traditions for providing the product for review and giveaway.